19 April 2011

Movie Mondays: Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

eek! It was 11:59 and all of a sudden I realized that I had totally forgotten to post a movie monday! I'm going to just squeeze this in during the early Tuesday morning hours, ok? I won't tell if you won't ;)
I decided to pick this movie literally at the last minute. Like, I had my browser open and was typing "movie mondays" into the blog title box with the intent to post about an entirely different movie, and all of a sudden this just came to me. I figure it must be a sign.

I watched this for the first time last year, but interestingly enough both of my professors in my 2 media arts classes this semester selected it for one of the weekly screenings. I just love when I get to watch films I actually enjoy that have an academic purpose! Like I've said a million times before, best major ever.
The film is "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog", and it's in quotes because it's not actually a feature film, it's a series of three 15 minute webisodes that comprise one 45 minute piece of epicness. be warned, it's (like most of the movies I talk about) not for everyone.

There are a number of reasons why I like this film, and I think it would be most productive to just go ahead and list them.

1. Created, written, and directed by Joss Whedon. Joss also created Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, and Dollhouse (among many other things). I am an avid fan of every single one of those.
2. Stars Neil Patrick Harris. I love this sensitive-tough singer-actor-director man.
3. Also stars Nathan Fillion, star of Firefly and Serenity as well as Castle, another show I've professed my love for on this blog.
4. It's a musical. I don't talk about it much on here because it's mostly a part of my personality that's faded with time, but I have a soft spot for musicals. I just love 'em, and I know way too much about them.
5. It's freaking hilarious. The writing is superb, the comedic timing is excellent.. it just really makes you laugh.

the only gripe I have with Dr Horrible is that the actual musical numbers are a bit subpar. I think that it is an intended mockery of itself, so that works... but being a musical fan, the simple melodies and cliche arrangements made me cringe a bit. If you can get past that though, this is truly gold.

Since it was originally in webisode form, the film has aspects similar to your everyday video blog. Dr. Horrible (NPH) is an aspiring villain attempting to be initiated into the evil league of evil, no help to his nemesis Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion). Dr Horrible speaks of all this- as well as his love for the sweet charity-working Penny- on his video blog. Of course, Penny doesn't know that Dr. Horrible is, well, Dr Horrible... she only knows him as Billy- the shy, normal guy who does laundry on the same days as her.

In order to join the evil league of evil, Dr Horrible must commit an undoubtedly evil act for all the public to see. His several attempts are thwarted by the annoying and extremely chauvinistic Captain Hammer, who, in an attempt to injure Dr Horrible where it hurts the most, ends up seducing Penny for himself. The film concludes with Dr. Horrible's final attempt to commit an evil act by killing Captain Hammer and finally winning Penny over. And I won't tell you the ending, because I've already said too much. Just watch it, ok? Tell me you'll watch it. You don't have to like it, but you probably will at least laugh a few times.

As you might have guessed with the whole 'came-out-in-webisodes' thing, this is aimed towards youth culture. Probably college/young adult age. So if you're in that age group, you're way more likely to enjoy it, but that's not to say anyone else couldn't too :)

Here's a (short) trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment