04 April 2011

Movie Mondays: Julie and Julia

I wasn't planning on posting about Julie and Julia because, well, it's so mainstream! You've probably already seen it! But I love this movie... I really, really love it... and so I decided it deserves a spot on my blog along with all my other favorites :)

I saw this movie the summer it came out, sandwiched between Moon and The Time Traveler's Wife (yes, I sat in a movie theater for six hours straight, besides a small break for dinner at a restaurant next door- the summer stewie worked at the movie theater was awesome^^) I had no idea what it was about going in, all I knew was that supposedly the old people who frequented stew's theater enjoyed it.

Oh boy, was I in for a treat.

I hadn't started blogging way back then, but I did already love to cook. I love cooking so much that in high school I would have rather watched the food network for hours on end than MTV, VH1, or pretty much any other channel. To my delight, Julie and Julia was full of fantastic, beautiful cuisine that got me so inspired to go out and cook my way through a cookbook :)

I'm sure many of you have seen this movie, and those who haven't are probably still fairly familiar with it... but just in case, here's a brief plot synopsis:

Julia and Julia follows two stories; the life of Julia Child as she learns to cook in France and begins to write her first cookbook, and the life of Julie Powell, a new yorker with a passion for cooking and a desire to do something brilliant with her life. Her answer to her dull-life woes? Cook through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in one year, and blog about it. Oh food blogs... how I love you so.

Julia Child is played by Meryl Streep, who is marvelous. I never actually watched the real Julia Child's show, so I'm sure if I had I would have one or two things to say about Meryl's performance...but as far as I can tell she gave a pretty accurate depiction. Julie Powell is played by Amy Adams, and I love her in this role. She's usually cast in such wimpy, girly-girl, look-at-me-i'm-so-quaint-and-pretty-and-small-and-i-speak-in-a-high-voice roles, so it was soo nice to see her perform this more hard-edged character. She portrays Julie Powell as tough and determined while also sweet and likable. I love it!

I could watch this movie over and over again because I'm obsessed with food and blogging, but even if you aren't, I still think it's worth at least one watch. There's some wonderful humor and the story-line is really quite appealing. Plus, it's a true story and based around a woman sooo many people have watched and come to love... so what's not to like? I think this is the perfect movie for a family or girls night, or maybe a casual night with you sig. other. enjoy it!

here's a trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment