14 March 2011

St Paddy's Countdown Day 4

 Welcome to day two of my St Patrick's Day Countdown! Today is a Movie Monday- Irish style! Now, usually when I do themed Movie Mondays I write up a quick list of several movies you could watch for the occasion. This time, however, I'm just going to do one movie that's pretty special to me because I grew up watching it!

The movie is Called Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Heard of it? I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't- it was made in 1959. It's also one of those few disney movies that features real people, not cartoons. It's so very silly and dripping with irish stereotypes- but that's what makes it so fun to watch!
Darby O'Gill is your typical "old codger" who enjoys telling stories about leprechauns in pubs- in his case, though, they're actually true. Darby is friendly rivals with King Brian, the small and cunning king of the leprechauns. I honestly haven't seen this movie in FOREVER, I just remember loving it, so I only remember small bits of the plot- like that Darby's daughter and the new caretaker- handsome, young Michael- fall in love and sing the only song I can remember from the movie in which they refer to each other as "my dear, my darling one". I'm also pretty sure Darby gets trapped down in the leprechaun world for a while.

here is the plot summary from netflix:
Irishman Darby O'Gill (Albert Sharpe) finds himself face to face with magical little people -- leprechauns -- in this unheralded Disney gem. One of O'Gill's tall tales comes true when he captures the King of the Leprechauns, who must grant him three wishes. But all the wishes ultimately backfire, with comical results. Partly filmed on location, the movie co-stars Sean Connery (in an early role), Janet Munro and Estelle Winwood.

such a cute, fun movie- especially to watch on st patrick's day! Definitely not to be taken seriously at all- it's pretty corny and all- but still a lot of fun to watch. I don't know how easy it would be to find (i've got it on vhs somewhere I think), but if you can get your hands on it, give it a watch!

Since it's so old, there is no trailer available on youtube- but if you look it up you can find some silly and ridiculous clips.

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a ridiculous movie. But one that would scare me. >.< Which is a little ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete