22 November 2010

Date #2: Heart-Shaped Pizza

On the list of 100 dates that Stewie and I got, this is the first one:

"Go out for pizza — ask them to cut the pie into the shape of a heart"

A cute idea, sure, but I've worked at a pizza place and I'm pretty sure I would have been kind of annoyed if a couple of teenagers came in and asked for a heart shaped pizza. Dough likes to be in circles, not hearts. You can't toss a heart. we don't have heart shaped pizza screens. And cutting a pizza into a heart after the fact seems kind of wasteful for one but also a pretty tedious task. I decided it would be better for us to just make our own heart shaped pizza, as to not piss off any fellow pizza makers. Besides, I'm pretty sure homemade pizza is better than what you can get at most restaurants.

Last tuesday (it was baking night, if you recall) I made a batch of pizza dough- enough for 3 medium-small pizzas. On thursday night stewie and I stretched and tossed the dough and I shaped one into a heart. I also made some homemade pizza sauce (out of 1 small onion, about 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 4 cloves garlic, 1 can of whole tomatoes, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a whole lot of oregano and parmigiano reggiano) and spread it evenly on the three different pizzas.

Then on went the toppings. Stewie and I called the heart pizza a "grown up combination" because it had a whole lot of stuff on it, but it was mostly "adult" flavors. I used a cheese combination of cheddar and mozarella on all the pizzas, and other than that this pizza had red onions, fresh tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, capers, spinach, and goats cheese. We baked it in a 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the toppings were a little wilted, the cheese was bubbly and the dough was golden brown on the underside. 


Mmm. So, so delicious. 


The other pizzas were much simpler and tasted more like traditional pizzas. One had red onions and green and red bell peppers, the other had red onions, fresh tomatoes, and spinach. yummy yummy! here are a couple pics.



Stewie and I ate this and then watched friends and drank tea for the rest of the night. definitely a good, cozy Thursday night date. Another one later this week! And I'll be back later today with the Movie Monday :)


<3

1 comment:

  1. Looks tasty, next time try putting the spinach under other ingredients and it wont dry out of burn.

    ReplyDelete